Home / Latest News / Segways are out, mayor says (much to everyone’s relief)

Segways are out, mayor says (much to everyone’s relief)

Segway's making their way from Prague Castle grounds. Photo: Wikicommons

PRAGUE – Mayor Adriana Krnacova became the people’s hero – and perhaps the number one enemy of Segways – on Tuesday when she announced a full ban on the two-wheelers throughout Prague’s historic city center.

“We received countless complaints and we decided to satisfy both residents and even some tourists,” Krnacova told reporters. Users will be fined up to 2,000 CZK under the new ban that will be in force from early August.
The ban was purportedly due to “safety” reasons, which anyone who has been run off the footpath by a speeding Segway will attest to.

Association Segway CR criticized the wide ban and is considering legal steps, Jaroslav Endrst, member of the executive committee of the association, told Reuters.

Spain’s Barcelona, which receives some 27 million tourists a year compared to Prague’s 6.6 million, became the first European city to ban Segways earlier this month. After the city’s famous seaside promenade became dangerously congested with the machines, the city’s mayor called for a complete summer-long ban until better rules and regulations could be developed.

As well as Prague Old Town, the ban will affect parts of Holešovice and Letna and selected parts of the districts Vinohrady, Žižkov, Prahy 4, Smíchov and Libenas well.

Check Also

Smoking ban in Prague inches closer to reality

The bill will go to the Senate, who could make it law by May 2017. …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *